HEY, PARENTS: WAKE UP, Y’ALL! IT’S ALMOST SUMMER! IF YOU WANT YOUR KIDS TO HAVE A SUMMER FULL OF FUN AND LEARNING, READ ON. I’M A MOM OF TWO WILD-ANDWOOLY BOYS AND HAVE BEEN RESEARCHING SUMMER CAMPS AND SHARING MY FINDS SINCE 2003. HOUSTON IS FULL OF AMAZING CAMPS AND THERE’S SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY. I’M ALL ABOUT IGNITING LIVES (SEE MORE ABOUT MY IGNITE YOUR LIFE! ART PROJECT HERE, WWW.IGNITEYOUROWNLIFE.COM) SO I REALLY ENCOURAGE PARENTS TO HELP KIDS EXPLORE THEIR PASSIONS IN THE SUMMER SINCE THERE’S SCANT TIME DURING THE BUSY, DIZZY SCHOOL DAYS. I CREATED THE LARGEST AND BEST DAY CAMP GUIDE 15 YEARS AGO – IT’S NOW ONLINE AT WWW.DAYCAMPSHOUSTON.COM. HOP ON AND CHECK IT OUT! YOU CAN SEARCH BY AREA OF TOWN, AGE, COST, SUBJECT MATTER, WEEKS OFFERED AND MUCH MORE. SOME VERY UNIQUE ONES ARE BELOW. FOR MORE CAMP PICKS AND ALL THE SCOOP ON WEEKEND FAMILY FUN, BE SURE TO SUBSCRIBE TO WWW.GISHPICKS.COM. HAVE A GREAT SUMMER!
• ALLEY THEATRE The Alley Theatre has so many programs for families in place, and their “Alley Playmakers” summer camps are yet one more way to help kids appreciate theatre and their own acting skills. They have camps and classes for grades K–12 in Houston, Klein and Fort Bend – each program is in 2-week sessions.
• ARTIST BOAT This is an outdoors camp that takes place in Galveston’s waters and is a beautiful mashup of science and art. Three session themes are offered in which campers will use the scientific method to investigate processes in the ocean, and each camp will culminate in creating works of art.
• CAMP INVENTION A nonprofit program of the National Inventors Hall of Fame, Camp Invention’s STEM activities encourage kids to think big and explore their curiosity with their “Fast Forward!” program that includes challenges and achievements from National Inventors Hall of Fame inductees.
• HOUSTON CENTER FOR CONTEMPORARY CRAFT These are brand-new camps, expanding the Museum’s monthly “Hands- On Houston” craft activity program. Kids will learn about a variety of craft materials and processes and will work with materials such as clay, fiber and metal in their “Craft Garden.”
• LANGUAGE KIDS WORLD Kids can travel the world without leaving Houston in these Spanish, Mandarin Chinese, French and English immersion summer camps. Taught by experienced native-speaking, college- educated educators, the camps emphasize hands-on and interactive activities in the target language.
• SALLE MAURO FENCING CAMPS Salle Mauro Fencing Academy offers a variety of fencing programs for adults and kids, including their summer camps which introduce kids to the exciting world of sword play in this fast-paced athletic activity that uniquely blends the mind and the body.
• ST. FRANCIS EPISCOPAL SCHOOL St. Francis has offered its “Summer on the Point” day camp program to the public for over 20 years and it’s chock full of choices from June 4–29 and July 16–August 10. Camp topics include fairy fun, 3-D gaming, sports skills and wacky word play.
• YORKSHIRE ACADEMY Their camps are for kids 24 months–6th grade, so are a great choice for families with multiple kids. There are over 50 enrichment camps and theme-based camps (for the little ones) with flexibility for half-day, full-day or full-time care.